A year ago, we wrote a joint review on Ruffwear’s Quickdraw Leash. Ruffwear recently redesigned the product, and we wanted to be sure to share our take on the updated version.
What hasn’t changed?
- The overall functionality and look of the product. It’s the same length with the same trusty, quick-pull tab.
- Hook-and-loop closures keeps the leash wrapped around the collar when not in use.
- It’s still the perfect leash for any off-leash or quick/temporary leash situation.
- Price: it’s still a reasonable $19.95.
What has changed?
- The pull tab is now orange and red instead of sold red to distinguish it from the old model.
- The big change is a newly designed clip that attaches to the leash. The new design does a better job of keeping the leash from becoming accidentally un-clipped from the collar due to regular handling and active-dog-antics.
If you don’t already own a Quickdraw Leash, then this redesign is a great opportunity to invest in one. We love the new clip, as we found that the old version occasionally did come undone just by having the clip rest at a certain angle. We’ve used the new model on many trail runs during our peak ultramarathon training this season, and it has yet to come unclipped once!
Maybe not for you if
- You are looking for a leash for extended use on an adventure. This product is best used for quick transitions from on- to off-leash and for intermittent use.
- You are a tall person with a short dog, or if you own a very small dog…the leash may not be sized to work for you. The collar can be adjusted from 14-22 inches, and the leash extends from 20-27 inches, depending on how much length is needed for the neck portion. Make sure to measure your dog’s neck size to ensure that this product won’t be too big for your dog and that you will have enough length to keep your dog on-leash comfortably.
Perfect for you if
- You frequently adventure with your dog off-leash but want a leash to magically materialize on your dog’s collar from time to time. Possible scenarios include dog parks, trailhead parking lots, and passing reactive dogs in off-leash areas.
- You want a small, simple, and packable leash to keep in your car as a backup leash. It easily fits in my purse, car glove box, or running pack.
- You are looking for an affordable gift for the dog lover in your life.
After over a year of use, Ruffwear’s Quick Draw Leash continues to be one of our most-used and trusted pieces of gear while on the run!